Fused Glass/Metal Experiments

I’ve been trying combining fused glass with various powdered metals and metal compounds to see what effect it has on the glass colour. I’ve been intentionally avoiding compounds which – when heated – might decompose into harmful byproducts (eg chlorine containing compounds). I didn’t take photos of all the experiments prior to firing, but hereContinue reading “Fused Glass/Metal Experiments”

Fused Glass Attempt # 1

The first thing I tried with my new kiln was some glass fusing. Tools To cut glass I needed some new tools: Toyo Glass cutter and cutting oil (appears to be just a very low viscosity mineral oil). Metal running pliers. Glass I had bought a “student pack” of glass manufactured by Bullseye Glass Co.Continue reading “Fused Glass Attempt # 1”

Cyanotype Attempt #2

I tried the Cyanotype process again. I used the same method as before, with the following improvements: I had sponge brushes to paint the fluid on the paper consistently. I made sure not to leave any “pools” on the paper. I sandwiched things between my two new A4 glass sheets to fix any focus issues.Continue reading “Cyanotype Attempt #2”

Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum Wallisii) Pollen

My Peace Lily has flowered and is scattering pollen everywhere. I think might even be giving me mild hayfever. Clearly the only thing to do is investigate! I happen to have this microscope slide equipment in the cupboard. So I put some pollen on a slide and mounted the cover glass (I spread the pollenContinue reading “Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum Wallisii) Pollen”

Cyanotype Attempt #1

A Cyanotype is an early photographic method which yields a characteristic Prussian Blue image. It is literally how you make a “blueprint”. I’ve done this before on a small scale, but I’d forgotten the exact quantities required. Luckily, NileRed has a reasonably comprehensive video on the subject, so please do watch that! Basically, you mixContinue reading “Cyanotype Attempt #1”

Epoxy Resin Casting Attempt #3

I wasn’t going to post another of these attempts as I’d hoped to be actually doing something with it now, but as it turned out, the red owl was a failure. It never cured properly: I figured out I’d simply not been careful enough measuring the quantities, so it remained really bendy. I had toContinue reading “Epoxy Resin Casting Attempt #3”

Making Skeletonised Leaves

I decided I wanted to try making some skeletonised leaves. So I did some Googling and decided to try this approach. We went out in the evening and gathered some leaves from the local Shrubbery. Totally not suspicious 🙂 I bought some Sodium Hydroxide and a cheap steel pot from ebay. Note: it must notContinue reading “Making Skeletonised Leaves”

Knitting Machine: Needle Router Working!

Check this out! I’ve actually had the main design on the whiteboard for a few weeks, but I wanted to play with other things for a bit: This is v2.1 of the needle router. I don’t think showing the intermediate v2.0 is very interesting: the changes were important, but minor. Anyway, let’s compare the designsContinue reading “Knitting Machine: Needle Router Working!”

Making a Copper Leaf and Perspex Lampshade

This is a slightly older project, but since I’m waiting for the new knitting machine design to print, I thought I’d write it up. One of our standard lamps needed a new shade, so I decided to make one! Ingredients 2mm + 3mm transparent Perspex (from Edinburgh Hacklab) Copper Leaf (from Ebay) “Size” (gilding adhesive)Continue reading “Making a Copper Leaf and Perspex Lampshade”